Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

A New Chapter

I think I can look at this purple page for awhile, and I'm hoping that the change of look will be inspiration for me to add to this blog more often than I have in awhile.

It's 1:00 pm here in Seoul and I am watching some men collect the garbage below our window. Looks like we missed the trash pick-up yet again. Sigh. We have yet to figure out how to do the intense recyling that they do in this city. There must be about 15 different things we have to separate out! Not only that, but the separating bins are very often packed away, so the times we've tried to go and separate our trash, there's nowhere to put it. Thankfully our American neighbors have just arrived and I think they'll be able to explain what we're supposed to do!

This is a new season for us, and we are enjoying getting acquainted with life in South Korea. The city is big, traffic is busy, the weather is hot, humid and gray, everything is very expensive (!) and the people we've met are kind and friendly. We've unpacked, grocery-shopped, used public transportation and eaten a variety of non-Korean foods (Thai, Middle Eastern, Japanese, American)... but of course even non-Korean foods taste somewhat Korean when served in Seoul. I think I have enough ingredients in my cupboards to bake banana bread... except I still haven't found cloves - hmmm.

Nate is busy with getting ready for school to start - it promises to be a very busy year for him with a very full load of classes. The school is amazing - as are the people working there. We are so thankful to be in this place at this time and we are eager to see how God uses us and works within us during this new chapter of our lives.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to your new home!!! And, yes, there are always lots of adjustments to a new place, but you guys are amazing and will do fine. Do the grocery stores have 'english' labels, or Korean ones? Oh, and right about now is your Saturday - the 31st of July. Happy, happy Anniversary to you. We are so thankful for your marriage, your wonderful little family, and for bringing Nate into the Oldberg clan. Love to you - oodles!!!

Grandpa and Gramma said...

Glad you are safely in your new home. Was so good to see you guys and spend a little time with you. We had nice vacation at the beach. Take care and we sure do love you guys. Grandpa and gramma C

Ann- Britt said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU NATE AND JOIE!!! WISH WE COULD BE THERE TO CELEBRATE WITH YOU. You are daily in our prayers. We have had some difficult days, George seems to be slipping more and more into a very deep sleep. He is very weak and we now have a hospital bed in our living room. I am so very thankful for each day I can hold his hand and often he will squeeze it so I know he is aware it is me. We are resting in the hollow of His hands this day.

Beth said...

Welcome to your new home! Praying for you in this exciting transition for you both and the kids! I am sure God has a neat year ahead of you! I feel so blessed I got to see you in the US!!!

laurap said...

Thankful to hear your voice through your words. Another transition. I am praying for your precious family. We love you all so much. I need an address!