Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

food, glorious food...

...no matter what it looks like!
We bought some mustard in Korea this summer. Real, American mustard, and it's been sitting in our fridge staring at us for months now. We admitted the other day that we both seem to drool at the sight of it, but can't think of much that we could eat it with except... maybe hotdogs! So Nate brought me some sausages that resemble hotdogs quite well and I baked some buns to put them in. I was so excited about this meal that I asked Nate to take a picture:

- He didn't think anyone would be very impressed - but we were very excited for this rare meal:

MMMMMMmmmmmm! WHAT A TREAT! First time having hotdogs in India - it was wonderful - so wonderful that I think we'll do it a few more times before we leave!
Another meal that has become a favorite for me is the basic Indian meal of rice and dal (lentils) with a side scoop of 'pickle'. I learned to make it myself last year and now cook it up every other day or so and eat the leftovers in between. It's Annie's favorite meal- the only thing we could get her to eat for a number of months, and it's grown on me too. Pickle has got to be one of the nastiest-looking things out there. They make it of lots of different things, but our favorite is Lime pickle. It's Lime pieces fermented in mustard oil with lots of chili and salt. Doesn't it sound delicious????!!! I didn't dare try it for our first three years here, and like the character in Green Eggs and Ham, once I finally got up the nerve to try it, I found that I LOVE it! I plan to bring some back for my dad to try someday- he'd like it too, I'm sure.
-my lunch plate almost every day-

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that treat of yummy sausage was tasty. Did it taste just like hotdogs? Aunt MaryGrace

Anonymous said...

oh how fun. Great job on those hot dog buns too!! Once I tried to make them when we lived in Zaire, and they didn't really resemble anything close to what they were intended to be, although I am sure I blamed the local flour - or perhaps all the bugs that were in the flour. :( Yes, we will look forward to some of your picke too. Pappa will love that, I am sure, especially if it is spicy. love you, mamma

Anonymous said...

i am impressed by the hot dog buns! i never made any that actually looked like hot dog buns. mom

Anonymous said...

Joie, It's very good reading your posts - Love from Dad in WI

Anonymous said...

those are long hotdogs :)
do you ever get bored of rice and dal??? Love,
ruth

Anonymous said...

Joie, I'm really impressed with your hot dog buns! And I'm excited that you are eating well and that Ammie is eating better! It is so important that she eat more protien and those lentils or beans? would fill that need! BRAVO! Have a great Christmas with Eleanor! We LOVE you! Gma

Anonymous said...

Not impressed, huh? Well Of course I am impressed... very cool that you could find non-vegetarian dogs,too... or am I assuming too much?
I love your posts.
Pappa