Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2009

the single-mom life

I have a ton of respect for the many single parents out there - but I don't EVER want to be a single mom.
That said, this week was a tiny bit like being a single-mom for me since my dear husband was out backpacking for 8 days with students. I have had a very busy, quite productive week.

1. lousy meals! wai-wai (like raman noodles), packaged soup mix, rice and dal every lunch (much to Will's dismay), leftovers for supper (much to Annie's dismay), breakfasts of cornflakes... but I managed to serve lots of ice-cream to make up for it.

2. lists! I'm learning that I get much more done when I write a list. So I did. I managed to:
  • make numbers 6-9 for Will to color in
  • bake muffins before Bible Study on Tuesday
  • knit a bit on my snowman
  • write a newsletter that might get sent soon
  • move all my email addresses to my gmail account so I can start using that
  • make and purchase a photobook of our best India pictures
  • email my sister-in-law on her birthday
  • wash a sweater that's been sitting in a pile for months
  • wash and fold lots of laundry
  • bake pumpkin bread and remember to give some away and eat the rest!
  • drop off my computer (but unfortunately I forgot to pick it up- at least Nate's is around)
  • give Will all his meds
  • pay my househelper (only a few days late)
  • finish a batik that's been sitting around for a year
  • order groceries
  • order firewood (finally!)
  • go to the clay center with my kids
  • join the pre-schoolers on a day trip in town
  • bleach some table cloths
  • wash Annie's nasty babydoll, which now looks good as new!
  • lots of other odds and ends that I don't remember right now including keeping my kids alive and mostly well :)

3. Much un-finished. I did NOT manage to work on Annie's quilt or any other sewing projects, but that's ok - I got lots of other things done that needed my attention.

4. Anxiously waiting... By the second or third day, we were ALL ready for Nate to return. "BAPPA?", Annie squaks frequently. When I had run-ins with Will (usually over rice and dal), he'd sob: "I want my Pappa!" And it's too quiet and lonely here when my honey is gone- especially at night. But we made it.

5. Last comment before I get lunch for my kids. Nate called me (NO WAY! HE NEVER CALLS! - WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE!!!) last night to say he'd finished his hike and would be back tonight after a long long drive. He said it went well and he sounded like he had enjoyed it overall. What a great husband! I'm SO thankful he'll be coming home soon to end my 'single-mom-stint'. Hats off to all who do this regularly.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I, for one, could also not do this! That is a long stretch-you made it! I love all your activities too, what a busy mom you are! Enjoyed this.

Anonymous said...

I love the little insights into your lives over there in Redwood Cottage. Way to go, Joie. You got ALOT done. So glad your man is coming home today. Yay. mamma