Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

list 1

It's been a long 3 years- now just 8 months to go. I've restrained myself from writing this list for too many months/years, so I apologize for being negative, but this is real for me these days (and I suspect that it will be an important list someday when I am gone from here and am remembering how perfectly marvelous this place was).

Things I will NOT miss when we leave from here:
  1. monkeys stealing my laundry off the laundry lines and making my little boy sob in anger as he watches them steal it

  2. the fear of the monkeys whenever we go for a walk, play outside, dare to eat outside... i hate the monkeys.

  3. feeling excluded in such a small community because i am a stay-at-home mom

  4. endless computer/internet problems

  5. having spent all last night walking in the Bazaar, trying not to forget to buy anything, dragging it all back home, only to find that I didn't even think to buy ribbon, which I have to have for my little boy's birthday party tomorrow. OH to have a car and a store nearby where I could go with my kids to pick up last-minute things when I forget.

  6. feeling like a failure every time someone asks me if I speak Hindi... that was just one of the many things I didn't manage to do during the past 3 years here!

  7. having to have a lady helping me clean my house 5 days a week (i know it sounds great, but she doesn't do a great job and i'm tired of having her in 'my' space all the time.)

  8. borrowing a hand-crank sewing machine that barely works, although I AM thankful for the use of a machine at all... it's just frustrating

  9. my teeny tiny ovens (although I am very thankful that I even HAVE an oven! -in fact, 2 ovens!)

  10. having to wipe black mold off the walls every week

  11. dreading figuring out something to cook for dinner almost every night because the options that we enjoy are so few and so much work

  12. butter shortages, milk shortages, "no cocoa powder until Monday, Ma'am", no molasses, weird-flavored vanilla 'essence', no good cheese, no beef, and rarely lettuce. I just won't miss these things!

  13. skype frustrations and any other downloading of almost anything, which take eeeeeooooonnssss to complete (oh yeah, I already said internet problems, didn't I?!)

  14. getting sick from food/water so often and having to deal with the health centre/hospital and all their run-around-info

Well, I'm running out of things to complain about for now, so it's probably a good time to quit. The wonderful thing about this sort of list is that as I hunt for lousy things, I remember scads of things I WILL miss. That list will come soon, I promise! :) I DO have it pretty good, I'm just so weary of some of this stuff. Of course, every place has some good, some bad...

Most of the time I really like living here and I am so thankful for all the ways that God has provided for us.

5 comments:

jsmarslender said...

Oh, Joie! I like that one of your labels is "Monkeys." You must let us know what we can bring for Christmas. Send us a good long list to make up for no packages for three years. : ) I saw York peppermint patties and thought of you - I'll have to buy a few before they're gone.

Already I'm forgetting some of the limitations of Colombia. Right now all I remember is that it was GREEN and that is RAINED and I LIKED it that way. : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your heart, Joie. I understand the frustrations. Continue to be looking for all the blessings that the Lord Jesus has/is showering on you guys. And don't let the evil one take your 'happy' away. I love you. mamma

Beth said...

Thank you for sharing this. I understand daily frustrations that seem endless! I have those even in the US of A! I will pray for you and just think of all the juicy beef burgers you can have soon! You will miss the gorgeous views I'm sure! I miss you. Lots of love, Beth

Unknown said...

Joie dear,

I'm having a bit of a day myself. In fact, I put myself to bed (it is 3:30 in the afternoon currently), I felt so miserable and unfit to be around people.

Thank you for your honesty and your vulnerability in sharing this. I liked how you prefaced this entry, too ... That this will be good to look back on when you have moved on from this place.

Love to you!

laurap said...

WE LOVE YOU WILL!!!

Happy Birthday!!!!

Sophia, Hannah, Ivy

Miss you, how I wish we were there!!