Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Korea: What's it like there?

Since the time I was about fourteen, I noticed that everyone always asks me the same question when they hear me talk about another country. As a result, I started trying to pick out the differences between different places- tried to figure out how I would answer that question while I was there for the next time someone asked. I'm not so good with words, so have enjoyed trying to capture things with pictures. Anyway, here are some pictures that we took (mostly Nate) to try to show you Korea. Enjoy.

Mmm. Korean food! We found it funny that menu pictures were usually of raw meat and they cooked it in front of us. Fun.
I have no idea what they printed on these steps.
Seoul.



(you've got mail.)



... and inside E-mart:
A street-side market:


(some raw fish for sale- want some?!)
Fruit all piled up- you have to buy it by the basketful.
and I have no idea what these fluffy dry things are, but they're sold by the box-ful piled high.


(Annie just pointed out to me that the above picture is of a "bus")

Abundant wildlife in the DMZ.

RICE!


Keeping the 'peace'.

Seoul- again.
(the tall tower is the tallest building in Seoul currently, and the caution sign is a funny one of a car diving off bridge into the water- watch out, it could happen to you!)


An ancient palace in the middle of a very modern massive city.


Ornately painted room in the old palace.








Inside a train- very very nice trains they have there!
The countryside.

The end. Did you get an idea of what it's like there?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tack sa mycket for bilderna. Det var so roligt att se vad ni har sett i ett olicka land. Vi alskar er. Pappa

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful trip thru Korea!! Thanks for sending them to us. Missing you...Gma., Gpa O

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures of Korea and Seoul.
I love the Mcdondles that is Korean. The meals there look really good too.
Glad you had a nice time.
MaryGrace

jsmarslender said...

I really enjoyed the pictures, Joie. Looks like a neat place to travel. I think the ceremonial dress in front of the Dunkin' Donuts is one of my favorite. That and the market pictures.

Anonymous said...

what clean streets! this is a great photo-journal. thanks for putting all these up! (nate always enjoyed the fish vendor at market, too!) love you all! mom

Unknown said...

The men in front of Dunkin Donuts is my favorite. :~) The steps have signs for a kind of noodle ... did they go up to a restaurant or something? And the fluffy things at the marketplace are dried seafood (i.e. squid). :~)

Joie said...

Thanks Hannah! I thought of you as we were there and as I put up the pictures. I figured the dry things were some sort of seafood. fun!