Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Himalayas: Harsh Terrain

The hike to Dodital last weekend was really neat for me. I hope to write more about it later, but I thought that I'd put some pictures here for now. One of the main things I realized was just how harsh the himalayas are. Pictures will never capture the steep cliffs and mountainsides that we foolishly braved without a path or guide, and I am thankful to have only lost my camera lenscap and not my life. Most of the way was a fairly easy hike with a clear and wide-enough path... however, when we tried to head up to a mountain pass, we missed the path because we left while it was still dark, and we ended up "cud-climbing"- precariously hoisting ourselves up the side of the mountain, which was steeper than any ladder I would usually climb. We climbed up thousands of feet- up, up, up... and suddenly we realized that we had no way to get down. I had gotten up by clinging to tufts of grass and digging my shoes into the dirt, but I couldn't get down by doing that. It was the first time that I feared that I would never make it back home- would we make it up and be able to find our way to the path we had missed? we couldn't go down...
Above, a tree had split the rocky mountainside.

This is the best I could capture the steepness- don't know if you can see it.

So I prayed that God would give us a way down. I suddenly realized that MAYBE we could get down by following the 'valley' between two ridges. It had a few rocks in it and seemed to be like a ravine where water might flow in monsoon. However, we had seen these type of ravines end shortly in rock drop-offs and cliffs that we wouldn't be able to get down. I prayed that the one we were on would let us follow it all the way down. Above you can see my two friends coming down to where I had reached along our rocky 'ravine'.
Praise the Lord! He DID give us a way down- we were able to follow our rocks all the way down to where we could see the path and river that we should have followed all along instead. The view of where we should have gone is above.
Instead, we had this view of the mountains. And that was plenty for us as our cud-climbing adventure had worn us out!

Here I am, in front of the lake Dodital... just to show you that I was there-smile. It was a really good trip, but I was thankful to get home and see my wonderful family again (who, of course, managed just fine without me!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joie,
We are glad you made it down safely. It looks beautiful there.
-Dave and Sasha

Anonymous said...

Well, we prayed and prayed and it sounds like God continued to be so faithful and carry you through, especially when you couldn't figure a way down. Wow. It looks so beautiful. And we were so glad that you were able to get away a little and enjoy God's incredible creation. You are amazing, Joie!! And... God is SO incredible!!! mamma and pappa

Unknown said...

Dear Joie,

What an adventure with the Lord and your friends! :~) I am always thankful that He continues to teach us (even when I don't particularly like the lesson I am learning!). Love to you!