Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Signs and Promises

"The whole Christian life can be summarized in our two questions: Who is Jesus? and, What does He want of me? All of us would do well to dedicate our lives to answering these two questions." - Jim Petersen

This quote was a helpful reminder for me recently. I think sometimes it helps to step back from life and reconsider what it's really about. One of my great joys these days is the Tuesday morning Bible Study. We're looking at God's promises and it has been so refreshing and encouraging to meet together and dig into God's Word. I ran into a verse that seemed to clearly express God's whole purpose in giving promises:

2 Peter 1:3,4 "His divine power has given us EVERYTHING we need for LIFE and GODLINESS through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

So far we've looked at God's promises of peace and of strength (which are closely related). We read through the story of Gideon which is absolutely amazing- a story I haven't thought about in too long. But the question arose- does God still give signs to us when we ask Him for them like He gave to Gideon? I'll think on it and try to remember when I've seen this in my life. If you have seen God giving a sign, I'd love to hear about it as well. I love remembering God's promises and how He's followed through.

"Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed. Every one was fulfilled." Joshua 21:45

No comments: