Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring tidbits

It's spring in Mussoorie! One thing I seem to forget each year is how spring here is the season of falling leaves. We have many Himalayan oak trees in this area which drop acorns in the fall, but keep most of their leaves all winter long. Once the weather warms up and the new leaves begin to grow on the branches, the older leaves begin to fall off. Our yard is covered with newly fallen leaves and I am enjoying watching bunches of leaves flutter to the ground as the breeze shakes them loose. Here's a picture I tried to take to capture how the old leaves are coming off the branches as the new ones fill out the trees. Other plants did loose their leaves earlier so their new leaves are clothing bare branches beautifully.

This is also the short Rhododendron season. I've been enjoying watching the blossoms come on a tree behind our house. Just a week or two ago they began to bloom and already the petals are covering the ground.

A few days ago we were invited to join some friends on a walk around the road at the top of our mountain. It was a beautiful day and very relaxing to spend the morning that way together.
Lunch at Char Dukan
Annie wanted to sit in this little shelter on the side of the road - she called it her 'ouse'.
Will helped walk a dog and did a very good job! He'll enjoy my family's dogs back in the US this summer... but Annie is scared to death of dogs. :(

I bought a papaya in the bazaar this week and we devoured it in two meals - it was excellent! I told Nate that every time I have bought a papaya in our marriage, it is because SOMETIMES they taste like this one! (we haven't had very good ones before this one)

And a few updates are due:
1. Above is a picture of the crazy quilt that I worked on with a few friends. This is the center of it- it turned out really neat and we're just finishing it up now. We each did a square and it's neat to see a group project like this come together so nicely.
2. The diaper cover I made out of a wool sweater DOES work... and perhaps better than expected, because we have had quite a number of days when Will hasn't wet his diaper at all! :) That's the goal, after all, so even though it took a few days to figure out if the cover would keep moisture in, we are pleased that he's started to not wet his diaper sometimes.
3. I stepped on a sewing needle yesterday on my floor, and more than half an inch of it went into my foot... so my toe is a bit swollen and my foot is pretty sore today. I guess running will have to come to a halt for a bit. Hopefully it will heal quickly and I won't get an infection. :)
4. Just one more thing I wanted to share. One morning this week when I was running early, the sky was so hazy that most of the mountains were completely hidden. I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to see the sun rise, which is something I usually look forward to so much. A few minutes later, I looked up and there was the sun- rising as a perfectly round circle of light - just beautiful. The thought struck me that in fact I could see the sun clearer in the haze than on a clear day when it was too bright to look at. I thought about how this relates to my spiritual life and how sometimes it's in the gloomy/hazy/dismal times of life that I have actually been able to see God clearer than during bright, clear times when all seems right. Maybe that thought will encourage you like it encouraged me.

8 comments:

jsmarslender said...

Nice pictures Joie! Glad you're getting your running inspirations - such a good time to think. And I hope your foot heals quickly - ouch!

Anonymous said...

Nice springy pics Joie!
MaryGrace

Anonymous said...

Nice springy pics Joie!
MaryGrace

Anonymous said...

Nice springy pics Joie!
MaryGrace

Anonymous said...

I love you, Joie! Your photos are really beautiful, and your God-given insights do encourage and inspire me. Hugs, Mom

Unknown said...

Oh, Joie. Ouch! I hope that toe heals quickly!

And thank you for that thought at the end. You are so right; sometimes, it IS in those times of trial that we see God's hand most clearly - maybe because we're looking for it more intently?

the misses of the blisses said...

I was just thinking about the diaper cover you made for Will and thought to myself that I needed to ask you how it was working. Im glad it works! Thanks for the encouragement of seeing God in the haze. :)

laurap said...

I am drinking all this in!! Oh how I miss Spring in Mussoorie!!

I love you! I AM SO SO SO SO sad I missed your call!!!! How about I call you!!! Email me your number, I have recharged Reliance minutes!!! The Weavers will be there on Sunday or Monday, but for only two days. There schedule is full with LCH stuff, but I am praying you all happen to meet! LOVE YOU!!!