Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

For my Pappa: My 'Little' Backyard's Flora

Above is a picture of the moss that covers the rocky ground in our little yard. Annie thinks it's nicest to walk on this softmoss-sharprock stuff barefoot, but I prefer shoes.
Above, some dying flowers- these are the first ones to bloom as monsoon is just beginning, and evidently, they're among the first to go as it draws to a close. We've had way too many dry days this monsoon and are praying for more rain as what falls here in the mountains affects the entire nation for the rest of this year.


Ferns, ferns everywhere! They grow on anything and everything!
I don't know the proper name for this purple flower, but it reminds people of a peacock- can you see it?


These bright orange-red flowers were hiding under so much green that I only just spotted them a couple of days ago. They're just beautiful!
And above is the plant that tells us when the monsoon is over. The green 'berry' part turns bright red to tell us all that the rains have passed.
I know my pappa would enjoy monsoon season here- especially watching all the birds and plants. When I wander around my yard or out on the trails with my camera, I think often about my Pappa and how he'd enjoy it here if he could come for a visit.

2 comments:

laurap said...

I love how you find the beauty in so many things, even in monsoon. Believe it or not, I miss it. Or maybe it was just the people I got to share in it with...

Beth said...

Beautiful! You live on such a gorgeous mountain! Thanks for sharing.