Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Walk In My Light

I haven't written on here in awhile. I have some feeble excuses, but what it comes down to is that in theory, I aim to be REAL on here, while still being encouraging and helpful in what I post for others to read. These days are busy and I'm tired and when I DO take time to sit and think of something uplifting to post on here, I'm not coming up with much.

On one particularly low day, as my heart felt like it was crumbling irreparably, I was crying out to my Father in Heaven, and He brought a song to my mind. I found that the words were exactly what I needed to hear from Him- just exactly for that moment and it was a song that He was singing to me, His child.

All at once, the most incredible realization came to me- God had given me a song! I like to sing, I like to harmonize, I like to make up new melodies and harmonies... but I can never find the right words. This has always been the most difficult thing for me in writing my own songs. And that night, the song that God gave back to me was one I had written for Annie a few weeks ago. The words didn't seem quite right at the time I wrote it- I was trying to write a song full of truths that God speaks to us about how He sees us. Then, when God gave it back to me, I realized that they were what I needed to hear Him say-- and the words I had scribbled on a sheet of scratch paper were from Him to me and also for me to share with others who might need to hear His words as I had heard them. The song is inspired mainly by Colossians 1:22,23 but I'm sure you'll see other verses from His Word jumping out at you as well -smile. Someday I'll record it or play it for you live- until then, I pray that 'my' feeble words, which are actually His, touch your heart and encourage you. (P.S. I have now recorded the song and if you want to listen to it, email me and I'll send you a link.)

"Walk In My Light" - for Annie
-by Joie Burchell 2009
Crushed in spirit, you may be.
Broken-hearted, call to me.
Weak and hungry, taste and see
That I am good.

You stand holy, perfect in my sight.
You are radiant, beautiful, and my great delight.
You're my child, I claim you, now shine so bright.
None can find a fault in you, - walk in my Light.

Come and hide when you feel small.
Though you stumble, I'll catch your fall.
Listen carefully, I'll teach you all,
For I am always by your side.

Hope I offer, Peace I give.
Trust in me, and you will Live.
Heavy guilt leave here, for I forgive,
Child of mine, I long to carry you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Joie, I am so encouraged and touched by your transparency. Thank you. I look forward to hearing the song too, some day. What a privilege to be His children!!! A loving Father who longs for us, to love on us and to carry us each step. Thank you, Joie. I love you. mamma

Sarah M said...

Joie, you do encourage. Your song is beautiful and I'm glad you shared. I remember visiting you and Nate in Minneapolis just after Will was born and we went to church together. I listened to you sing and just enjoyed that. You do shine bright, Joie.