Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

for me.

Here I sit, wanting to write something, but having no idea what to write. I admit that this time, I write for myself, because I need to write. We have shared our good news of expecting another baby in October, however we will never meet that baby as it has returned to be with it's Father in Heaven. I always used to wonder how people felt who had shared news of being pregnant only to have to state that they had lost the baby not long afterward. Did they wish they'd never shared the news in the first place? Well now I know how I feel: I feel sad- sad that I am no longer pregnant, sad that we will not be celebrating a new baby in our home in October... sad. However, that is how I always imagined I'd feel in this situation. What surprises me is that I also feel thankful. I am thankful that we decided to tell people before we 'knew' that we would get to meet this baby, because it was a big deal to us, an exciting anticipation that God was going to give us another precious life to keep watch over. With all 3 pregnancies, I imagined that it would help us to have let people know about the coming baby even if we lost it, because we would need to have our friends and family know about the joy and the pain. I believe that truth is a large part of healing and it would be hard to not share what is going on in our lives. So now I know that I don't regret telling people we were expecting a baby only to turn around and tell them that we will never meet that baby. It's ok, and we're ok, and we are confident that God has given this as a gift to us in some way. We are tired from a couple of rough days which concluded with Nate and I at the hospital in the middle of the night. Thankfully neighbors came to stay with our kids and we didn't worry about them at all. We are surrounded by a wonderful community of friends here.

We are just taking this all in- it's a big picture that we can't see completely yet. The song, Blessed Be Your Name has been running through my head almost incessantly, so I will copy it below this. It is a song that we sang at our wedding almost 5 years ago, and through all of our journey so far, it continues to be a song that expresses very well the peace that we have found in what God has given us. "... my heart will choose to say, Lord, blessed be your name!" It rings of praise and trust in a God whose ways are so perfect that we are only able to see their intricate perfection when we look back, but we can never see exactly what He has ahead of us and how He plans to work.

Blessed be your name in the land that is plentiful,
Where your streams of abundance flow,
Blessed be your name
Blessed be your name
when I’m found in the desert place,
though I walk through the wilderness,
Blessed be your name

Evr’y blessing you pour out I’ll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in Lord, still I will say.
Blessed be the name of the lord,
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the lord,
Blessed be your glorious name

Blessed be your name
when the sun’s shining down on me,
when the world’s all as it should be,
Blessed be your name.

Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering,
Though there’s pain in the offering
Blessed be your name.

You give and take away, you give and take away.
My heart will choose to say, Lord, blessed be your name…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Joie. Thank you for sharing your heart like this. I pray that Abba continues to be your heart's joy in all things.

Anonymous said...

I love you, Joie. Mom

Kelly G. said...

My heart is breaking for you all. I have 2 babies in heaven too and I know it hurts and yet you do bless His name. I wish I could bring you chocolate and flowers and a hug, not because it makes it all better, but so that you know you are loved so much. Know that it is ok to feel sad and you should. One thing that helped me so much was to give the babies names and to know that they mattered. We are praying for your peace and strength. The sorrow will last for a while, but His Joy will return. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Joie, I'm so amazed by your ability - and choice - to sing "Lord, blessed be your name" in this devastating loss. May he continue to walk with you down this road marked with suffering. Thank you for sharing both your joy and your pain with us - you've taught me about faith today.

Anonymous said...

Joie & Nate, we are sad with you. We have never known that pain of loss, but your song helps all of in this loss and expresses our faith & trust with you in "Blessed be your name". Thanks for sharing your heart, Joie. Wish I could reach out to you in person and give you a big hug and tell you how much you are loved! You are precious to us!Gma & Gpa

Anonymous said...

Pappa and I stand with you guys in prayer at this difficult time, and with praise that our Lord Jesus is sovereign and He will only turn this situation and this loss into His Glory. We send you BIG hugs. (Karin and David)

Unknown said...

You are in our prayers Joie. We share your sorrow.

Anonymous said...

Nate, Joie,
Yes, sorrow. I'm praying for you both. Love to you both,

Dad

jsmarslender said...

This is the same song I've had in my head too. Love you much.

Anonymous said...

Je suis désolée d'apprendre ce qui t'arrive Joie. Je t'embrasse très fort et te souhaite beaucoup de courage dans cette terrible épreuve.

Deb said...

Oh my... I just now took a moment to catch up on reading your blog...

I, too, am grateful that you shared both in the celebration and the loss. I am glad that we can "rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep..."

Our hearts are especially turned toward you both as you grieve... We are celebrating the life that waits for you in Heaven and upholding you both in prayer...

Love you all,
deb