Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Of Socks And Sweaters

I've had a lot of fun over the past few days making tights and diaper covers out of used clothes. YOU, TOO can make these things - so easy, (but I have yet to see if the diaper covers really will work... my husband has many doubts!)

Start with a pair of socks that are headed to the garbage can (like the one on the right in the photo below), and chop off the bottom part that is pictured on the left hand side in the photo below (this is the part of the sock that CAN go to the garbage can!). If you then trim the heels off a bit, you should be left with a lovely pair of socks that looks like the image above. Sew up the bottom part (so they fit baby-doll feet), and cut a 2-3 inch slit down the top of each sock and then sew them together to make a pair of baby doll tights:
(the inside-out view)
TA-DA:
Yup, I came up with that idea all by myself. It took a total of 10 minutes to complete a pair!
And now "Baby Dechen" is WARM... and has a pair of tights to match Annie's tights. :-)
...................................................................

My second project was a diaper cover for my big boy who still wets his diaper nearly every night. He's at least 10 lbs heavier than the max weight on his current diaper covers (which are therefore ripping and too tight on his legs and waist) and I have tried several times fruitlessly to get a cover big-enough for him from the US. THEN I stumbled upon a tutorial for making your own wool covers complete with a pattern and lanolizing instructions. I dragged my family to the Bazaar to buy two wool sweaters for about 8 dollars (but YOU can certainly get them much cheaper if you have thrift stores nearby). I felted them, cut them up like in the pictures below, and sewed them back together according to the instructions given on this website.



The finished product!
Today I lanolized the covers and am waiting for them to dry before we get to try them out! Yippee!! If it works, I'll be a super happy mamma!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're a GENIUS, Joie!!!! Love you, so glad to see that creative mind keeping on keeping on........ :)

Anonymous said...

i hope it works! i hate thinking of all that laundry every morning... mom

laurap said...

I love you so much!!! Can you just live by me??!!! I love this idea! I need another baby!!!