Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

clarifications

Thanks to all who have shared valuable insight with me in our conversations, in the comments of my posts, through emails. I want to state a couple of clarifications since I have opened such a complex discussion on living for Christ in a foreign land (or anywhere, I suppose.)

First: I pray that what I have written in my previous post "First or Nothing", does not come across as a judgment on other Christians here or elsewhere. I am NOT trying to condemn, but rather to ask some important questions that I have found easier avoided for a long time. Now, I think, God is stirring my heart to consider how He wants me to see the cultural-spiritual battle and how He wants me to live for Him in relation to it all. In many ways, I am the one confronted by the Truth through wrestling with these things. I pray that my written thoughts will spur you on toward the Truth as well.

Secondly: From what I'm learning about Yoga (correct me if I'm wrong!), it seems that the goal is to be joined/one with the god Brahmin (sp?) and therefore in practicing Yoga, one is practicing drawing close to that god, becoming that god. Three wise older Christian friends with whom I have talked about Yoga (now that it's on my mind and I don't know much about it), have advised me that it is treading shaky ground to 'practice' Yoga, no matter to what extent, because at the heart of it, to quote one of them (from my memory of what she said): "Satan knows that you're inviting him into your life when you do these hindu things, even if you don't know you're doing that, and he will take advantage of the offer". Valuable perspective, I think. I don't want to forget that there's a spiritual realm that is very active especially in this place* and the people who I think will best be able to discern which things are cultural and which are of the evil-spirit realm, are the 'natives' who know the Lord.

*One friend actually witnessed a metal craftsman making an idol for a shrine here in town, and the people of this community actually invoked spirits to come into the idol.

5 comments:

Laughing Mouse said...

I love seeing your pictures and family updates. I love reading your poetry and songs etc. And, I especially loved your recent post about the spiritual battle we all face and where the "lines" ought be at.

Personally, I think that yoga is particularly tricky because there is a built in physical-spiritual connection attempted. Unlike walking on a treadmill or even doing pilates. Much as I'd love to do yoga as a form of exercise, I have never felt that particular freedom from Jesus Christ to pursue it. I imagine that the battle is even stronger where you are at since it is the birthplace (or near to) of yoga.

I pray that you have continued wisdom in what is permissable and beneficial to you and your family. (There's a verse about how everything is permissable for me but not everything is beneficial). Keep us posted!!

laurap said...

I am thankful for this post. It is so hard seeing the trend on yoga in the States and knowing the heart of it. There is even yoga for children that is very popular. I struggle with how to talk to friends, believers here about this. Thank you for inspiring me to be a voice.

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts though personally I would disagree.
As a Christian and an Indian, to me everything is a matter of perspective, especially when you live in a country with such diversity ; both religious and cultural. For someone it may be trying to join God but for me it is a purely physical exercise and one that is used to relax the mind and body and in no way when I do yoga do I think about it as a religious practice.
I want to give you an example related to this. My father who is a Christian refuses to accept sweets (prasad) from Hindu temples as he thinks of it as an offering made to Hindu Gods. Whereas for me I have no trouble accepting the sweets as I do not give it any consideration whatsoever and in my mind they are just sweets. There is no religous attachment to eating sweets in my mind. I think that by eating sweets it is not making me an less of a Christian.
The same way as setting of a few crackers on Diwali does not make me any less of a christian. There is no religious sentiment in my heart or mind it is purely entertainment.

Joie said...

I must respond to Anonymous' comment on my post- thank you for sharing your thoughts, but since you claim to be a Christian, may I point you to two passages in God's Word: 1 Corinthians 10:23 says, "'Everything is permissible' -- but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible'--but not everything is constructive."
The passage goes on to specifically address your comment about 'prasad'. In fact, prasad IS food that has been offered to idols, see what the apostle Paul says about it in verses 28,29: "But if anyone says to you, 'This has been offerd in sacrifice,' then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake --the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours..."

As for yoga and celebrating Hindu festivals as a Christian, 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1 is helpful to me. Here I'll copy some of it:
"What agement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: 'I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.' 'Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will recieve you.' 'I will be a Father to you , and you will be my sons and daugters, says the Lord Almighty.' Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, pefecting holiness out of reverence for God." (2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1)

This seems clear to me that one main point of being God's child is being SEPARATE from the people around us who are not His children. Because of that, I deliberately do NOT burst firecrackers on Diwali, although I don't have a problem doing it on any other day. God asks us to honor Him by being different than everyone else.

Joie said...

Sorry, I mis-typed 2 Corinthians 6:16. It should read: "What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God."