Detta är Dagen

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

-Psalm 118:24


Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Advent

My sister sent me fall leaves and acorns last year, and I enjoyed decorating with them again this year - thanks! (also, I had to post this pic because I like how it captures the snowmen looking up to their superior 'HomeMaid' snowmaid-smile)
Lighting the first candle of advent.

Our 'advent' calendar Christmas tree- all decorated. Will has been thoroughly enjoying this new tradition.


Here's the tree up close and personal with Will unwrapping a gift in the background.

And every week we meet with several other staff here for a potluck and Bible Study time together. This week it was at our house and Uncle Pete let Will sit on his lap and play his guitar. We have been using a selection of Advent readings during our times together. So I've been thinking about Advent recently. I remember a little book that my dad read during Advent when I was growing up- it contained little devotionals about the significance of each candle of Advent. I wish I could remember more from it than I do. Advent seems to have slipped by me - what is the purpose, what is the meaning, why do we mark off the days?
The best summary I can come up with for now is this:
Advent- a time of focused waiting in anticipation of the celebration of Jesus' Birth.
Is that right? Since we don't wish to carry on meaningless traditions, we're still sorting out Advent at our house . I welcome your thoughts/suggestions/traditions/helpful readings on the topic. :-) Merci!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Found your blog via the "Global Citizen" newsletter. I look forward to checking up on your life from time to time. Fun to see pictures of your beautiful family and to hear you share your heart on here.

Tim